Wednesday, July 1, 2009

M.I.A in SLC

I finally downloaded all the pictures on my camera since my last post and judging by the number of pics (228) I'd say I'm a little behind on blog posts. Summer didn't start out quite the way I thought it would. I imagined lazy days at the pool, picnics at the park, the standard yearly zoo pass, and fun lunches w/girlfriends...but alas, my ideal summer has not yet come to pass. I'm playing catch-up big time on this post, but I have to cram a lot in to bring it up to date. Dave and I celebrated our 12th anniversary on June 6th. I was planning on posting a bunch of funny, old dating pics of us, but that would entail a.) finding them b.) scanning them and c.) WAY too much effort. Maybe I'll start organizing them now to post for our 13th. My mom tended the kids and we went to Flemings for dinner, saw "The Hangover"on opening night (hilarious!), and then finished off with Iceberg shakes. It was a perfect date. We've been together for 14 years and it seems crazy to me how quickly the time has gone! I'm happy to say that after all this time I still love my hubby and as far as I can tell he doesn't think I'm too bad either.

Addie had her first dance recital what seems like a million years ago now. It was really cute and Addie did really good up on stage. Her and Chloe, her BFF that lives next door were darling and you could tell they loved being all dressed up. The dance place wasn't very organized, but the end result was actually pretty cute considering it was dance and all and also that Dave and I felt completely out of our element. I guess we'd better change our attitude quick considering we might have a bazillion dance recitals on the horizon...

For what seemed like days on end we had rain, rain, and more rain. I thought we had fixed our flood problems in the basement until...one day the kids started screaming all at once and flew up the stairs to tell me that water was coming in the window. I went downstairs and our window well was filled up about halfway and the water was just pouring in. I told the girls to go grab all the towels they could find and I grabbed a bucket and was bucketing water for about 40 minutes. The damage was not terrible, just enough to be annoying. No carpet replacement this time.Lucky for me, the window well flooding happened 3 days in a row, always in the middle of the day when Dave was at work. By the end of the 3rd day I was not a happy camper. It was becoming a little too routine, so much that Ashley would remind me to go check the window wells every time it started to rain. This is me, thinking really bad thoughts, saying lots of bad words out loud and in my head (more out loud), before Dave finally solved the problem by cleaning the drain out and installing a sump pump. What the crap? There is a reason I don't live in Seattle!
Emmy has been eating solid foods for a while now, and therefore is always in the tub because she manages to make a mess everywhere when she eats! Her new favorite thing is putting food in her hair. Another favorite thing right now is pooping. This kid is seriously a machine. She puts any male I've ever known to shame. On a daily basis I probably only have maybe 1 or 2 wet diapers, the remaining 5 or so contain evidence that her diet is not lacking in variety. She is super cute, so even though she's super stinky, it's almost forgiveable (almost). In this pic she is sitting in the sink because apparently bathwater relaxes her bowels. I had to clean up the schrapnel in the tub and so this was her "time-out". Nasty, I know. Unfortunately she is in good company because all of my kids have done this at some point. I can't think about it too hard because it grosses me out...but not for long when she grins at me like this. Emery had her 9 month well-child check-up today and weighed in at a healthy 17 lbs. She is above average height, average weight, and her incredibly large melon is off the chart. Big brains are a good thing right?
Uh-oh, that big smile in the bathtub can only mean one thing...

Natalie had her first dance recital a few weeks ago as well. She did fantastic and I loved seeing her all girly up on stage. When Nat first asked to do ballet, it didn't seem to fit her personality. We were pleasantly surprised to find that she was good at it, was actually very graceful, and she looked absolutely stunning on her big night.


Nat got to pick what to eat for dinner that night, so big surprise, she picked shrimp! Sounds good, right?...Wrong. She picked Sizzler since she'd seen a commercial for all-you-can-eat shrimp. That place was bizarre, it's in Sandy, but it may as well be in the hood. I must have missed the sign that said "People with missing teeth and sweat pants welcome here". Ash and Nat were being so silly that night, we all had a lot of fun...especially since we didn't have the other 2 troublemakers with us.
Grandma Rosa was there for the recital as well, and also came with us for dinner. Unfortunately we carpooled to the recital and left my mom's car in a parking lot. When we came back for it...it was gone. It had been towed minutes before. Neither one of us noticed the no parking signs and my mom ended up paying a ridiculous price to get her car out. what a bummer. So, FYI, you can't park at the old Lowe's parking lot on 90th south or some jerk will do their best to rip you off.

Steak and shrimp...this kid is going to be an expensive date one day!

The kids started swimming lessons a few weeks back and they are all loving it. Ashley is a really good, strong swimmer and it's so fun to watch her form improve weekly. Natalie is doing great in her class and is a good listener. Addison thinks everything is fun in the water and has a huge smile on her face for most of the lesson. They are all so much fun to watch and I love that they can swim. I still can't even jump in a pool w/o plugging my nose.
Grandma and Grandma Hansen are staying with us until July 10th. We have lots of fun things planned and the girls are enjoying all the one on one time with them. It's been nice having them up so far, and they were gracious enough to watch our kids while we went to Cancun (more to come). Today Grandma, me, the girls and their friend Adri all went to Chick-fil-a (our fave)...I feel like I'm barely kicking the summer off and it's half over!

4 comments:

  1. I love Ashley's nose on the last picture. Cute. Adri had fun yesterday. Thanks for taking her. Summer is flying and I'm just starting too. Last day of school. Nattie looked so cute. Good job dolling her up. The window well pictures bring back good memories. I laughed so hard. Hope nothing happened today. Hopefully we will find time to have lazy summer day at the pool soon!!!!! If our schedules work out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Nancy, I gotta say it. . . go back to your window-well picture and think about what you would look like/be doing if you lived in South America. I see a bucket, some tin flashing, a hard working senorita. . . . I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nat's funny! (both Nat's are actually).
    I guess that you can say that Emmy is a true Hansen... she has a huge noggin, likes to eat, and is stinky! Hahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday ya old lady!!!! I hope you and Addison have a fabulous b-day.

    ReplyDelete