Saturday, April 25, 2009

Them are fightin' words!

A few days ago Addison and Natalie were fighting over a toy or something and I broke it up by taking the toy away from both of them. Addison decided to get "lippy" with me and yelled "I don't like you!!" This being the first time my 2 year-old has said that I didn't know if I should feel bad or laugh. I sort of did both because I was so caught off guard it was almost cute. 2 days later she said it again and that time it wasn't so cute and she landed her butt in time-out (her second home). Right now I can't imagine my sweet little Emmy saying this to me, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time (I'm currently 3 for 4 right now) I hope times like these just toughen me up for the teenage years that lay ahead!
If you know Natalie at all, you know that she tends to be my most dramatic and emotional child. We never seem to know what's going to set her off and a lot of times we butt heads to the point where Dave has to break it up (sad but true) Sometimes the simplest things like getting out of bed are cause for major meltdowns around here. Last Tuesday Natalie woke up ready for a fight. Everything was making her cry and my patience meter was near exploding. After a few rounds she yelled "you're not being very nice to me!". Instead of responding like a "nurturing mom" might respond, instead my inner 5-year old came out and I yelled back "well, you're not being nice to me either!". Yes, I'm embarrassed to admit that I felt better after I said it. After school I figured she'd still be cranky, but instead she went out to play for awhile and brought me back these dandelions (probably from our front yard) and put a cute note on them that said "From Natalie to Mom". It was so sweet and unexpected that I was humbled by her ability to just move on and forget about how our day had started. She and I both have so much growing up to do...but it's times like this that remind me how much I truly love that kid - for better or worse.

6 comments:

  1. I love that you are not the only mom that gets in fights with her kids. Natty can be so sweet. What a nice gesture. I can't imagine Addi saying those words yet. She must have learned them from the older girls. I love Mr. T. This raising kid thing is hard. Thanks for going through it with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha ha! I love that pic of Mr. T! Brought back so many memories...

    Anyways, love the dandelions with the sweet little note from Natalie! Those are moments to remember for sure. YOu are a cute momma to all of your girls...oh the stories we will have when all of our kids are grown up. I'm sure we will have a collection of wilty dandelions and hand-written notes!!

    cute post, loved it. (and yes, i will email you those cute pics!! xo)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naw, I don't think it was immature to retort the way you did. She WASN'T being very nice to you. That's what we get for having all girls. If we had all boys, we'd have a bit less drama, but more broken stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yah, I agree with Natalie (my sis).Although it sounds like your Nat can be quite the boy sometimes.
    We are really going to have to lean on eachother when our girls start into the teenage years. Maybe we'll have to do a kid "time share" where we each take ALL of our girls for a week, then get a week off. Heck, why don't we start that now? A week off would really gear you up for the time with the kids. I'll call you to set up a schedule. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy - I can't imagine having so many emotions in one house! Although, I can absolutely imagine saying a come back similar to yours. I think I do this on a daily basis! The difference with boys is that they will hug you right after a comment like that. My 'girl' seems to take longer to forgive me.
    ~She's just like me! What a pain.
    love you-

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Natalie being grumpy?? She is never grumpy for Aunt Jenn you better send those naughty girls to me for awhile. Maybe we could kid swap for a week, sweet Colby is finding a little temper lately too. You're a great mom!!

    ReplyDelete