Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Week of Firsts...



















All last week the girls kept asking if we could have "backwards day" and eat dessert before dinner one night. So, I thought what the heck and I bought what I thought looked like a fun cake to make (Funfetti says it all, right?) complete with sprinkles and everything. We made it right after school and the girls (and our adopted daughter Kathryn) ate cake in the middle of the day for no reason. The girls thought it was pretty cool and since it was just for us, I let them frost most of it and do the sprinkles. This is the girls with the finished product.

The really sad thing about the girls being so excited is that I am not a baker at all (as illustrated above). I can count the times (maybe on 2 hands) that I have actually "made cookies" with the girls. I am the reason that "Break and Bake" cookies were invented (I know Aunt Jenn is shaking her head in dismay). We do those pretty regularly an also Papa Johns chocolate chip is our fave. But more often than not the girls will eat the cookie dough here and there and before I know it there is only enough for like 3 cookies. Nattie is hilarious, she doesn't like chocolate (I know, we think she's weird too) but she loves chocolate chip cookie dough. She spits out the chocolate chips like watermelon seeds, it's pretty funny.

Ashley kept saying "this cake smells SO delicious!" It was making me laugh. My good friend Amy used to invite Ashley over to her house to make cookies when she was younger. I remember so clearly the first time Ashley went over there she came back just amazed at all the "stuff" that Amy used to make cookies (not just oil, eggs, and water). I remember feeling like loser mom for a minute, but obviously I got over it. In my defense, I like to bake yummy bread (banana, zuchinni and orange spice are our faves) and I love to cook. So, at least my girls won't be clueless in the kitchen...even though they may be buying pre-made if ever asked to bring the baked goods.

Ashley's class had a field trip to an Archery range last Friday. When I first heard about it I thought to myself (WTF?) Girls, that means what the freak just in case you are wondering. I volunteered to drive and ditched the younger 2 since it sounded dangerous enough for my 7 year-old, let alone a toddler and an infant.


Daija, Lainie, Ashley, and Erin standing in front of an enormous dead animal



This is what the range looked like (nice decor, huh?) It also looks like Mrs. Luck is choking a student. It's okay though, I think he is one of the bad kids.
















This was Ashley learning the ropes with the instructor. The kids got to shoot arrows for about 45 minutes and it was pretty fun to watch. At first I didn't really think the field trip sounded too fun, but even Mrs. Luck and I got to try a few and it was pretty fun (in a redneck sport kind of a way).
Here's Ashley doing it without any help. She's got her game face on and everything - check out that form!






It came as no surprise that Ashley was a pretty decent shot (yawn) I don't think there is anything that this kid isn't pretty good at and I continue to wonder who her parents are.

Ashley got invited to a swimming party over the weekend, and the location was just far enough to be a pain in the butt to drop off and pick-up 1 1/2 hours later...so we decided to just tag along and do our own thing while she partied with her friends. Addison had never been to an indoor pool and Nattie always asks if we can go to one, so everyone was happy that night. Here is Addie the ham and Nat chillin' in the tunnel. This was at Gene Fullmer indoor pool. It was actually nicer than I thought it would be.




Ashley and Lanie



















Us girls. It was nice to give our new swim suits a trial run and also just to hang out with Natalie and Addison for most of the night. They had a blast and even though their lips started to look blue (indoor pools are always a little too on the cold side) they didn't want to go home! Now we are all so ready and excited for summer!

And lastly, Emmy tried avocado for the first time this week and loved it! She liked it so much she wouldn't even open her mouth for me after the first bite. She enjoyed it so much that she felt she needed to spit it at me so I could taste how yummy it was too. After several delicious mouthfuls she even did the Jim Carrey gag complete with sound effects for me. Okay, I get it. Quit being so dramatic already!

7 comments:

  1. Okay you are such a hands on mom! I love it. Your girls love you and you spend so much quality time with them. I sort of feel like a slacker now! my Q time is shuttling them back and forth to practices and saying how are ya as they jump out the door...!

    Um...the archery/animal scary field trip. Wow! It seemed like the kids thought it was cool and it was definitely a "first" for anyone! Who knew?

    Fun week, you are hotness in the pool..you go girl! I vow NEVER to step into a pool unless it is a sunny 85 degrees out and I am tanning my bod. Again, you are a sweet mom.

    See you Wed! sooo excited

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Tawny about the swimming thing. You are way nice. That was a busy post. You did way too much. I can't believe you let your kids eat dessert first. Doesn't sound anything like you. You do way more things with your girls than most kids. If they don't know how to bake, they won't get fat. That's a good thing. You cook so well. That's a better gift than baking. I loved Ashley's pink bow and arrow. That was a different field trip than I've ever heard of. I take it that Emery didn't really like the baby food. Try sweet potatoes or squash. I like them out of the jar!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are way more fun than me! I'm thinking that my kids should move into your basement. Tay can pretty much take care of the other 2, just throw some food down there every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok a true WTF field trip! Archery field trip that a new one even to me. Tell the girls I will make sure they are good cookie bakers and you can teach Avery the bananna bread ropes because Aunt Nancy makes Avery her own loaf without nuts! kisses for the girls from me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Archery for a field trip would have been, for me, the BEST FIELDTRIP EVER!!!!! Lucky kids.

    I'm glad you started a blog. And, I'm glad there's another Natalie H. running around tearing up the town.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY GOSH!!! Nancy I absolutely LOVE your blog! Im so happy you told me about it! I'll add you to mine! Check your email, because mine is private (no creepers!) so I'll send you a little "invitation" :) the girls are adorable, as always! I miss them! And you and Dave!!! We should get together soon! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet the kids were diggin on an indoor pool instead of the irrigation ditch out in field out back. They all seem so naturally good at swimming (wink wink)! - Austen

    ReplyDelete