Friday, May 8, 2009

Breakin' Up is hard to do

In Memory of...

1989-2009

Hi, my name is Nancy and I was addicted to Coke. Not the scary, illegal stuff but the ever-so-satisfying, refreshing, and tasty Diet Coke. I started out drinking the hard stuff (regular), changed the error of my ways about 10 years ago when I discovered glorious Diet, and then eventually switched to caffeine-free diet so I could justify drinking it throughout my 4 pregnancies (so what, they turned out fine)...and also so I could drink as much of it as I wanted and not be up all night.

Well, I've officially given it up for good. Today is 60 days since I've had even a sip of the most divine drink known to man. DC has been my good friend for a lot of years, has seen me through thick and thin (and was probably the cause of some of that thickness in High School) and I never got sick of it. Problem is, I'd usually pass up water for DC and that's not so good.

So, in my effort to commit to better health, I'm giving up the dang sugar laden syrup water that used to bring me so much joy in life...okay, so I'm being a little dramatic. Truth is, it really wasn't that hard, and it helps that Dave gave it up too. Occassionally I will still glance lovingly at DC with ice when my friends are drinking it, but I find that the cravings are mostly gone. I'm drinking a lot more good old-fashioned H2O, and honestly I feel better (yes, that is what I tell myself). So, farewell my longtime friend, I will think of you often but hope our paths don't cross again.

6 comments:

  1. I've quit before, but I'm hard-core again. Here's my philosphy for being on the wagon again. . . or off. I don't know which is which. Anyway, so after a huge child break and then babe #3, being called yw president, trying to exercise and lose weight, and a case of the general 'crazies,' I figure something's got to give. And it's either diet coke, or illicit drugs. I feel ok about the dc. But, I'm sure I'll quit again some day. . .

    Good luck! You're stronger than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Nancy! You are a lot stronger than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are crazy,

    but I sooooooooo ADMIRE your strength....

    I really couldn't give it up, us Mormon's are already strick with our diet so I figure I have got to have something satisfying in my life!(did that sound wrong?? you know what i mean...)

    Plus it tastes so dang good on a hot summer day and it tastes so dang good on a depressing winter day. It is my buddy. Love it-

    BUT totally think your rock- I wish I had your will power!

    today was way fun- have a great TGIF!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be strong Nancy!! I still keep thinking I'm going to do the same with DP one of these days but don't have the strenght yet!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I commented last week and it never showed up. I don't remember what I said. I think you are awesome. You truly were an addict. JK. Such a cute and creative post. I also quit for 10 years, but now I have one once or twice a month. Moderation is fabulous with a vanilla DC in hand. Hope you had a fabulous Mom's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You brave woman! Atleast you were drinking diet, I drink the real stuff. I started exercising a few weeks ago, and I'm starting to notice changes everywhere but my tummy rolls. I'm starting to think that it's the Coke. When I'm ready to give it up, I will be calling you for support.
    Also, I'm surprised Dave has given it up. I'm pretty sure he was drinking that stuff from a bottle. I just always remember the whole Hansen family drinking the caffeine drinks, and our parents wouldn't let us have any. Gma used to buy root beer and sprite just for us. Good times!

    ReplyDelete