Saturday, May 16, 2009

Renaissance and Fantasy Faire

Ashley's 2nd grade class has been learning all about the Renaissance this year...and oddly enough, there just happens to be a Renaissance Festival in Ogden every year at this time - who knew?




So, with the smell of inscense ripe in the air (at least I think it was inscense...), we were all curious as to what fun activities and performances the festival had in store...



There were jesters and magic shows...

Royalty...(someone had to tell me she was "Lady Queen Elizabeth")





Musical Entertainment...


(Yes, this dude's hair is real...)
Interpretive Dancing...(funny, I didn't think I smelled alcohol on her when she sashayed past me)
Grown men playing with foam shields and fake swords in their fake castle...



Which actually looked like a lot of fun and some of the kids got to try it and LOVED it. The fake swords made a really loud "thud" everytime they hit the shields, so I'm sure the kids felt like Bad A's.


And what should have been a dang cool Joust with real horses - but unfortunately they didn't perform until Saturday so instead of this...


We got this.
The kids to to ride ponies as a consolation prize. There were also camel rides but the line was way long.
The kids (and adults) were pretty bummed about the Joust - okay, I was a little ticked. That was the only reason I wanted to go! We were all totally looking forward to it since how often do you get the chance to do that?



I joked with the kids that this is how "time-out" was done in Medeival Times...where can I get one of these for my house?
Lady Ashley and her Mexi-Maiden Mom


Ye Olde "Crapper"


They gave all the kids water bottles and I was wondering if they might regret it...a bunch of kids ended up having to visit the blue beast, Ashley being among them. This is the first time she's ever used one and it grossed her out. She held it forever until finally she broke down and went it. Afterwards she said "ewww mom, there wasn't even a sink in there!" She is too funny.

I'd have to say the most fun thing about the festival was people watching. Another mom friend and I were having a great time walking around trying to keep a straight face. Like when we passed these handsome fellas...

Creepy Old Dude Fairy...he had pointy ears on, creepy hair, and an even creepier smile. We made the girls pose with him and none of them wanted to. Ashley stood at the end on purpose. It was funny and kind of mean...but I'm a mean mom like that.








This first couple we decided had to be brother and sister...can you imagine bringing home either of them for your parents approval? This other guy reminded us of Fat Bastard from Austin Powers...he's right sexy!
And last, but not least, a Medieval "alternative" couple...




Umm, guess again - Me thinks this dude doth look like a lady!





So overall Ashley and I had a good time, even though I'm guessing it will be the one and only time I attend a fair like this. Then again, if I could be guaranteed an awesome Joust with a little violence, and possibly some blood, I could probably be swayed into hanging out with the Lords, Maidens, Jesters and Fairies (aka Drama Club flunkees) again.

Current...and future Lovely Fair Maidens

4 comments:

  1. That was quite the unique experience. What a field trip. Bow and arrow shooting and now this. Ashley has had a fun year and fun that you went to both of them. I hope they are over for the year. We need a break. Dance Comps are over for the year. Adri is in a new tumbling class on M and W. Are your girls. Talk to ya this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yah right, I'm betting that you and Dave went and checked it out on Saturday. I'm sure that you guys will becaome festival regulars!
    You crack me up Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love the old medieval wannabees. You hit the nail when you pegged them as the old thesbian societies of days-gone-by (aka high school). I think it's really funny that your kids haven't used 'ye old crapper' before. What kind of parent are you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow is that for real? I am laughing SO HARD from some of your comments about Austin Powers....seriously that was funny Nancy!

    Um... I think that is totally awesome and totally wierd all at the same time those people get so in to it..like mullet hair boy! Wow! But the people did look amazing- who knew such a place existed?!

    I swear Ashley does the best field trips! What a fun adventure for her, my kids would of loved something like that! We just get to go to the local firestation or grocery store for a sing a long. I need your schools!!

    Good mom for always being there for your girls- fun pics on this post, I am still laughing! xoxo

    ReplyDelete