Wednesday, May 20, 2009

To all The B's I've Loved Before

So I'll admit, I've probably always let my kids have their binky's too long. They are usually around 2 when I finally take it away. It's funny, with each growing kid we think they are the ones that liked it the most. Ashley loved her bink and I never thought she'd part with it. She nicknamed it the "B" and all the kids have followed suit. Nattie loved the B so much I thought it was going to be an impossible task to take it away...
Then Addison came along...and made me realize the first two were a piece of cake! For some reason age 2 came and went...and so did my consistent parenting. Addie didn't just love her B, she LOVED her B! I had managed to at least contain it to naptime and bedtime, lest I face the ridicule and scorn of those "judgy" moms out there. Whatever, it's not like my kid is almost 3 or anything...oh wait a minute, she'll be 3 in July and I am one of THOSE judgy moms myself (ironic, isn't it?) A kid who can talk in full sentences shouldn't still have a dang binky! Now If I could only get Addie to agree.

About a week or so ago Addie lost both her B's. I eventually found them both and hid them. She napped and went to bed without them (not happily, I might add) for a few days and I figured the B was a thing of the past...but my lovely little Addie had other plans. Unbeknownst to me, she started stealing the B from sweet, unsuspecting little Emery. I discovered this one afternoon when I checked on them. At first I laughed, took it away, and didn't give it much thought...until she did it again the next day and the next. Then it wasn't so cute or funny.
I tried laying Emmy as close to the other side of the crib as possible and put the side up on the crib to no avail. I don't know if Addison pulls her by the legs or arms to get her close enough to snatch her beloved B or what, all I know is that tonight we had to have a "hoedown throwdown" with that kid after she grabbed her loot and woke up the baby in the process . First I resorted to a good old-fashioned swat on the butt (no judging till you've been there!), which was so effective that 5 minutes later she had the B in her mouth again. I threw my hands up in the air and Dave, who is usually the 'good cop' around here went in and threatened her with having to sleep in the basement (where Addie thinks Cookie Monster lives) if she pulled that stunt one more time. I didn't think it would work, but lo and behold, 10 minutes later she was sound asleep sans the B!



So, we'll see how long it lasts...but I'm not holding my breath. Addie is such a headstrong little stinker (that's for you Janet, I would have said little #!%@) that sometimes she rules this roost and makes her sisters cry. She is also incredibly charming, sweet, and hilarious at the same time so we can't help but love her, even when we want to beat her.

(P.S. I stole this title from one of my cousin-in-laws posts. She is hilarious and I just want to give credit where it's due. You can check it it out here if you want a good laugh.)

8 comments:

  1. How funny Nancy! Our little Ellie is a lot like your little Addie! And can you believe we decided to throw another girl in the mix!:) We are aspiring to be like you and Dave! Miss you and see you SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm one of those judgy moms too, kids who have to take their binky out to talk is disgusting. But I know it's a struggle. At 1 we took Adds off the binky except for naps & bed, so by 15 months we were able to take it away all together. But then again, my child does not have an addictive personality, so I think it just might have been easier for me that other moms.

    I can't believe she's stealing poor Emery's Binkies. It's hilarious but sad at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids are so perfect that none of them had binkies. What's your problem? Ha ha!

    Actually, they pottie train late. Picture this - my 3 year olds who are as big as your average kindergartner - still pooping in their pants. We can't win them all. Just as long as they don't take their binkies to college, it's all good. Or poop in their pants for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cracked me up. I think that's so funny. That's what you get for having two in binkis and the same kind. She is so cute. I'm glad you are down to one binky baby. Good luck with the potty training now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH the binky stories we could all tell....I loved your post. We can all so relate. Taking the binky away from a child is like taking chocolate away from me. It would be soooo hard.

    and I am NOT a judgmental mom at all and don't care if Addy and Emmy had their binkies in kindergarten. Whatever works right?!

    Life's to short so let's enjoy the baby days...!I loved all of your pics of the girls with their binkies...it cracks me up!! love it. Can't wait to see the potty training ones.....xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh, I have an idea... let Addie come and steal Reese's Bink. Reese uses a different kind, but it might work. Does Addie want to have a sleep over this weekend?
    Tay and Ginny were off the Bink by 9 months, but Reese has been a different story. It used to be for sleep only, but now it's been added to church too. Oh well, it kept her in nursery on Sunday. I get more laxed with each kid. If I have a 4th, that kid will basically run the place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are seriously comedy!
    First of all - have to say again - you have the most beautiful girls! That last picture of Addie might be the cutest thing EVER!

    Happy that my kids didn't love the Bink but I could do a post similar only 'B' as in boob! Hard to get 'em off that thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancy,
    Such a small world! I have wanted to comment for a while now, since Natalie told me you were friends. You and David have GORGEOUS girls!! I have looked at Jennifers blog too, I may say "hi" to her too...It is so weird to me how we can all be connected. I think that I will be seeing Rocio at J.D.'s reunion next month. Cannot believe it has been 20 years since high school. Keep up the cute blogging (you are a very creative writer!)

    ReplyDelete