Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Watching grass (and maybe gardens) grow



Last Saturday Ashley had a fancy schmancy piano recital at South Towne Mall for Mother's Day. There were 8 pianos in all and all the songs were performed as duets and performed in unison. It was very impressive sounding and Ashley did really well.




She was ever-so-serious playing from memory in front of about 150 people. They also did a little song and dance number that Ashley hated, but I thought it was cute. No pictures because Dave had camera duty (I was videotaping). Ashley invited her cute friend Lanie who gave her Dove chocolates afterwards (her fave!) and a note that said "You Dove a good job Ashley". It was so thoughtful and nice. Mom and Dad gave her a pat on the back. Thanks for showing us up kid! Actually we had ice-cream afterwards, so it was all good. Nattie grows grass...(not the kind for profit unfortunately)

Later that day we were cleaning house and we came across Nattie's grass. She brought it home from school a couple of weeks ago and it even received a couple of "hair cuts" (courtesy of Nat). It was time for her grass to find a new home so we took a pic and chucked it. I love that my kids finally get that we can't keep all of their treasures. It was getting tiring having to play dumb when my kids discovered artwork and projects in the recycle bin...

I decided I wanted vinyl planting boxes this year and Dave spent most of the weekend finishing them in time for Mother's Day. He is so sweet to do this for me, considering I already have a garden, it's just not very pretty (railroad ties - ugh!). There is something so appealing about pretty boxes, perfect fertilized dirt, and the idea of shopping for fruits and veggies in your back yard that made me feel so ambitious at the nursery. I bought tomatoes, green/red bell peppers, carrots,squash, pumpkins, watermelon, cucumber, strawberries, and some herbs. Wow. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed just writing all that considering I'm hardly a master gardner... but I'm hoping my enthusiasm (and some watering) will be enough. Something better harvest or I'm going to be ticked!

Emmy a few weeks back. I was cooking dinner and put her in her swing for a change of scenery from her saucer. It took awhile before anyone noticed that poor Emmy was slip-slidin' away. She wasn't even mad, she was just chillin' probably wondering where the crap her mom was...

Parental neglect take 2. Here is poor Emmy again hanging on for dear life (where is this kid's mom??) Hmmm, maybe that's what the straps and buckles are for...oh well, no harm no foul.



My friend Andrea (who has great taste) gave me some "hand-me-downs" for Emmy that look brand-new. This outfit is one of my favorites. Maybe it would be nice to venture outside the Old Navy world once in awhile...








I could seriously kiss these cheeks all day...




Addison and Natalie in a rare, loving, sisterly embrace...

Look quick before it's gone!

5 comments:

  1. Was that hard? Good job. Your girls are so cute. Ashley rocks and now she will be a pro at piano recitals. Her dress was cute. I'm so impressed with you new garden boxes. They are not wood like you thought they would be. way to go Dave. I'm kind of sad that my garden is cement this year. Oh well there is nothing I can do now. Let me know how it goes. They look so nice. Parental neglect happens especially with four kids. I don't think it's neglect just life with a family of four. You are spoiled in the hand me down department. I wish I got cute hand me downs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Ashley! That is so great that she can play the piano. Tay wants to learn, but we need a piano for that.
    I love Emmy falling out of her swing... Reese did that. I figured she was right next to the ground, she wouldn't get hurt. My friends newborn slid out of a regular sized swing. She was only a couple of weeks old, and mom found her sleeping on the floor. Now that would be scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look quick I know! Your girls are always decked out in the C U T E S T outfits ever! They are beautiful, but you know that, you are their momma.

    How cute that Ash dares play the piano in front of the entire mall, I am so impressed and a little jealous of the piano skills- you are a good mom to get your girls so involved!

    Okay, you pics with emmy make me feel better, I did that with Mace ALL of the time. By my forth child, it was no longer hold baby all day long but more like ignore all day cuz their is SO much to do now!! We are still good mommas right?!?

    missed you today, hope you had a good workout girl! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, another use for those kid chairs - besides letting your kids fall out of them - is to pull them back, then let them fly! Kinda like flipping a pea with a spoon.

    When Reese was a baby, he had a johnny-jump-up that hooked to the door jam. We would pull him really far, then let him go shooting through the door like a slingshot. I think a lot of his judgement lapses tie back to OUR judgement lapses as kids.

    ReplyDelete